My Desert Island Discs selection 2009
July 6, 2009 by Charles Henry Wolfenbloode
Rules are that you must choose eight pieces of music to take with you on a desert island. At the end, you must choose one that you regard most highly. In addtion you are automatically given The Bible or a philosophical work of your choice if you’re not a Christian and also the Complete Works of Shakespeare. You may take one luxury item with you (anything except items that can help you escape from the island) and a book of your choice.
I’ve tried to choose a range of material by selecting two Western Classical, two Chinese, two Japanese and two English pieces.
1. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next – Manic Street Preachers
2. 流下眼淚前 – 徐小鳳 [Before Our Falling Tears – Paula Tsui]
3. Organ Concerto in G minor; Op. 4, No. 1 (HWV289) – G.F. Handel
4. dream scape – FictionJunction KAORI
5. 月光 – 鬼束千尋 [Moonlight – Chihiro Onitsuka]
6. Stereophonics – It Means Nothing
7. Organ Trio Sonanta VI (BWV 530) – J.S. Bach
8. 龝水 – 曾成偉 [Autumn Water – as played by Zeng Chengwei]
The piece I regard most highly: 龝水 [Autumn Water]
Luxury item: guqin
Religious/philosophical work: Zhuangzi
Book: The whole series of Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and xxxHoLiC manga